Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Train of Thought: Yo La Tengo, Calexico, Anton Corbijn

So my one fellow music aficionado friend who doesn't even live in Australia anymore but I happened to see on the weekend happened to mention seeing the band Yo La Tengo before...a band I often hear mentioned but had no idea what their music is like...I was checking out Wayne-the-good-music-reviewer's flickr site, when I saw the same band name pop up and decided that I needed to hear what they were all about!

First impression? Catchy! I don't know how long they'd last on repeat but I quite like this song- a refreshing change from what I usually listen to- might actually like them...but gotta hear more of their stuff to decide...

YO LA TENGO/Mr Tough



Also, I saw Calexico, a name I had long forgotten but had been recommended to me years and years ago in the days when dial-up 56kbps internet was all the rage and youtube didn't even exist yet(!!) ...so decided to give them a listen but found myself immediately more drawn to their visually interesting video clips than their music...

CALEXICO/the black light



CALEXICO/Cruel



Finally while on the subject of music video clips...this is still my all time favourite by the great Anton Corbijn: wow I feel like such an ignoramus for not realising just how famous he is and how much he has done besides this clip! ie: taken the photos of so many famous musicians and album covers! :-o!

JOY DIVISION/atmosphere

No comments: