Friday, November 14, 2008

Cleansing...The Music of Lisa Gerrard

I was lucky enough to pick up the "career-spanning retrospective" of Lisa Gerrard CD today for only $15! :-)

After a couple of hours spent bustling through the disgusting CBD environment I was thoroughly drained and feeling urgh...so it was with much relief I took refuge in this CD playing full blast and felt instantly 'cleansed'...

Her music/soundscapes are absolutely inspiring. Although I haven't heard much of her music, I was instantly enchanted: its haunting beauty and otherworldly and ethereal nature...my hyperactive brain had a blast...her music is so richly evocative...vivid imageries seamlessly sprung to mind...

*moonlit night, choppy rough seas, sunken sailors
*transcending the human body to the afterlife, floating, heavenly, free, ethereal, spirit
*desolate cemetaries swathed in creeping mists
*this is the music that plays just before the protagonist gets sacrificed and executed
*dark stormy nights with thunder and lightning

anyway, if you're a music aficionado like me, Lisa Gerrard music is definitely something you wanna sink your ears into! Cheers :)

p.s Of course I couldn't just leave with the one cd...I also picked up 4 others...(smacks the hand)...I am such a credit risk if left to my own devices in a cd store...this time I came prepared though with a well thought out list so only ended up with one impulse buy....phew!

Anyway was very happy with the selection purchased today:

Apart from Lisa Gerrard I also got

1) THE NATIONAL "Cherry Tree"
2) DECODER RING "Somersault"
3) CUT COPY "In Ghost colours" (I actually meant to get the previous album but it wasn't in stock and this one was pretty good when I sampled it)
4) THE CHURCH "Hindsight" (this 2 cd best of 1980-1987 was only $13! Happy Happy :)

ANYWAY...here's Lisa Gerrard performing "Sacrifice"...this piece is so aptly titled...and it touches to the very core...

No comments: